Tuesday, January 8, 2008

When life is out of balance

So, recently, we've been finding our life is way off balance. For some people it might work, but everyone is different so for us it was just too off balance. We were finding ourselves being pulled into the rabbit aspect of our life so much so that everything else was failing. By the time we fed, watered, cared for 150 rabbits plus organized shows, clubs, answered questions, website upkeep, blog entries, shipments, sales we were spending 75% of our time doing this. (75% being not overally generous somedays it was almost 100%).

Our goal for this year is to get our life much more in balance. For us, that many rabbits was becoming more of a job that we weren't/aren't being paid for, and was becoming more and more demanding and "why are we doing this?"

I don't know about you, but I want to go into the barn and be able to spend time with my rabbits not just clean, feed, clean some more. I know my Uncle says we have the cleanest barn he's seen(he worked for another rabbit breeder who also shows) and said we were being too picky. Well lately we couldn't even keep on top of everything. Grooming all those Jerseys(mainly babies/jrs) the seniors don't need to be groomed, keeping on top of nails, cage tags, health checks, breedings, weaning litters, culling and figuring out who to keep and sell and butcher, regular cleaning(pans, floors, wire scrubbing, hair deplucking off wire. Then we got the 2nd barn and for the first month it was going okay and then it was like AHH!!!! This is too much! So our life is going to be much more in balance now. I have 31 woolies I am keeping, and Cristina has 45 Mini lops(was 39 plus 17 babies to go through) we went through all the babies and picked our keepers and now it is 45 total plus one litter of 3 less then 2 weeks old. Much easier!

Now that our life is going to be more in balance we are hoping to do some extra activities. We've started painting and rug hooking(not free painting for me, paint by number is just fine lol!!)(I'm NOT an artist) in fact I'm terrible, but I can admit it AND enjoy it : )
I'd like to start swimming again and we both have plans for better eating and dieting. We'd also at least I would like to find my own place by the summer(it is so hard with dogs/cats) that is my biggest obstacle. And get set up with work. So many things but so much better balance!

No comments: