Friday, January 25, 2008

My Jersey herd




I've been thinking about what I need to work on in the Jerseys this year.

Because Cristina and I have decided not to attend many shows in the US it will give me time this year to focus on my breeding program not worrying that I shouldn't breed this doe or that doe because there is a show I want to go to. I think that is the biggest frustration is when you have does you want to breed but want to show as well, especially if they are proven and in great condition yet if you don't breed something you won't have jrs to show anyway. That can be frustrating!

Anyway, I see that 1/8 of the herd is lacking genetic condition, this is something I immediately want to breed out. The ones that just don't get that genetic condition or you can feel pinbones. I know after 3 months this is not feed it is condition as the others are feeling great and have coats now too! The ones that I am going to work on breeding it out of are:
Foxy Lady and her Dad Butch- obviously a genetic thing
Tonka and his son Honky Tonk as well as Tikki who is Honky Tonk's mom. Those are the ones I can think of that don't keep that genetic condition the other 25 animals do.

Off topic but I do have one great thing to post. Mitchell's Quentin an adorable broken chestnut buck who will be 5 in May(btw a Mini lop) anyway about a month ago we bought a bag of Dairy Text 14% to put into the treat mix. Quentin just hasn't had that top condition we strive for since he moulted in the fall. Well after only a month on 1 tbsp of Dairy he feels great : ) He was getting 1 cup of feed, regular treat mix(flatted barley, old fashioned rolled oats, and ground flax) but it just wasn't adding that "extra". With the dairy text it has really helped-- it has been very cold here too so I think he just needed that extra to get him back up to our standard of condition : )

Okay so back to the Jerseys. My next plan to is to strive for more depth in the jerseys, I am seeing a bit of longer bodies happening and want to keep them shorter. And then my 3rd thing is working on better shape of ears. Those are my 3 main things for this year then I will work on other things but for now that is my goal : )

Also the Jersey babies are as follows:
One Chinchilla buck!
One Frosted pearl ?

3 Sable points- 2 different litters

I bred 5-6 more Jerseys yesterday can't remember exactly lol. And have 5ish bred... So I am looking forward to all those litters
: )

Also pic attached we broke down and bought one more Jersey doe to add to the herd... Might pick up a couple more from Ashley at VIRBa will see how funds and cage space etc are(also I want to add what I'm needing only in my herd and keep within the same line) this doe is M an' M's Sophia- Pic attached courtesy of Ashley Felton- M an' M's Rabbitry
Can't wait to get her! Thanks Ashley! She is out of Leapin' Silverballs and a gorgeous pointed white doe of Ashleys : ) So I'm looking forward to seeing her in person! Again might buy something else at the show, will see!

No comments: