Monday, April 21, 2008

It bugs me!

When people say "wow, you are doing another breed?", Or, you "Sure have a lot of different breeds". Or you sure have a turn over on breeds etc.

What better way to know a breed then to BREED AND SHOW the breed. This is my opinion but it just bugs me when people comment, on something that is really not an issue to comment over!

I can think of many Nationally winning breeders who have more then one breed of rabbit. In fact, a lot of the ones I am thinking of have at least 2 breeds, some have 3 or 4 or more.

For me, I don't think raising more then 4 breeds does anything for all the breeds. Unless you have hundreds of extra cages and time to devote to the breed.

For us, Mini lops ARE the main breed with 72 holes for them. Mini lops have been here the longest, besides the first few years we spent with Holland lops and French lops. We had French lops for 3 1/2 almost 4 years, and Hollands for 3 years.

Since then, yes, we have tried various breeds and yes some didn't stick around for very long but every breed we raised so far, before we sold out we won a Best in Show with it! French lop, Holland lop, Mini rex, Netherland dwarf. We really haven't had many breeds.

I know of a breeder who has had rabbits here on the Island, has incredible stock especially in their one breed, and has 7 different breeds of rabbits. Has had rabbits since the mid 70's, and has raised many different breeds. Although the breeder doesn't have a big turn over of breeds, some of the breeds they don't do all that much with(having just a pair or trio or up to 5 animals at times).

We have a huge pet food industry here on Vancouver Island, with no sales of rabbit meat for human consumption allowed, a lot of breeders are going for the pet food industry. In fact, the pet food industry on the Island is so good we have all our culls sold for the next YEAR.

Yes, we are getting 3 satins coming from the US. Why ? Because our meat sales are so good, it would be nice to help pay for the feed bill some more with these meat sales. And we've always thought the red satins are beautiful. If you want to see more judges, and better judges I think you better want to see those judges raising all kinds of breeds, the more hands on experience the BETTER THEY ARE!

My opinion, as always : )

1 comment:

Susie said...

I tottally agree with you, whats the problem with trying out a new breed? Its just like a person when they go through a style phase. :) I've stuck with woolies since the begining(5 years ago) and here I am, still with them. I also have tried the dwarfs, and now I have the fuzzy lops, and a small herd of Californians, yep, I have some Cals! I'll say about 80% of rabbit breeders who know me very well and not don't know that. They are just for meat pens however, but its just like you getting satins for the meat industry, not really a problem, right?

I've been considering another breed for a while now, I need something new to focus on, a spark. My woolies have come a long way since I first started, and now its feeling old. I just something new for a while, a pair, just to find rabbits a little more amusing.

And lastly, making your decisions our problem isn't a good because you really can't do anything about it. ;)

I know how you feel...
Susie