Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another thought

A few days ago I wrote a blog on the "Best and worst moments of rabbit raising". I thought of something yesterday I figured I should post.

2 years ago we went to WA State Convention with Heather(no longer raising rabbits), Andrea(in Ireland), Selina(our sister in Yellowknife) and Cristina and myself. We went in our dads Cargo van which only had 2 front windows for air, and a huge area for rabbits but the heat that weekend was killer(105 in Ellensburg WA). It was awful. Well, we got stuck in Seattle traffic for over 2 hours, no air really going through the van it was just awful. We get to the show and it was so, so hot. We kept cooling the rabbits down with misters, and drenching them with water. We didn't lose any, but we did have to put down a mini rex we purchased when we got back. :(

Anyway, Selina, (yep I'm blaming part on you sis) ;) was great the first day, loved being at the show. But by Sunday morning she was tired of a rabbit show(not really a rabbit person), tired of that much driving, tired of not getting proper food because we all ended up spending our money on buying more rabbits and forgot to save much for food. So, we tried to go to Dairy Queen after the show I think it was Saturday night. Well, we get into this really, really small dairy queen. We had purchased carriers and water bottles and had very little money left. I thought I had more in my account. Which I did. BUT! that dairy queen would only let you pull out $20 at a time from their ATM. There is a $1.50 fee on top of it because I have a canadian bank card. Well, I couldn't pull out ANY money because it wouldn't let me. They also only accepted CASH. No debit. Well, between all of us we managed to scrounge up enough for 3 blizzards but had already ordered all kinds of food.
So here we are holding up this huge line, all these people are getting mad. We are hot and tired, and did I say hot? It was awful that heat. The dust/wind was terrible too, and the floor in the show room was dirt so it go in your eyes, and your nose and in your toes, and your hair. Ugh. Anyway, so we held up this huge line, people were out the door of dairy queen. Andrea and Heather had enough for their food but we didn't, and they didn't have any extra for us. So, we went to sit down and share a blizzard between the 3 of us. The people at DQ had made all our food, and had it sitting there, and I guess felt sorry for us and brought it to us for free. We were SO greatful!

By Sunday it was so, so hot and we were tired, hot and grumpy. I remember we were all ready to go and Andrea was talking inside and Selina was yelling that she wanted to go and someone had yelled at us to move the van as they needed to get in. Anyway we all started yelling at Andrea because she was taking forever and the van was about 100 degrees the rabbits were so hot. Poor things.

Even after all that we did go last year and had a great time. We couldn't afford to go this year, but as long as it isn't predicted to be that hot next year we will go again!

No comments: