Sunday, December 2, 2007

A beautiful white wonderland

It started snowing around 10:30 yesterday morning, and it is STILL snowing! We have over 13inches of snow(almost a foot!). Although, it is supposed to stop snowing this afternoon and turn to rain : ( I love the snow! We watched 8 different vehicles almost crash into each other at different times yesterday- those roads were slippery! That was everything to brand new 4 X 4 pickups and small cars! SUV's(Tahoes and Jeeps) and a sports car.

I've just had no time this week to write blogs, it has been very busy. I'm rearranging the lower barn, I can't stand it(or couldn't stand it). One side was 3 layers, and the other side 2 layers/banks of cages. With the main barn having over 85 holes then the lower barn having around 40 we were just finding it too much work. And, it felt like all we were doing was cleaning cages(which really was the case!). So after the 19 rabbits left last week for their new owners, on Friday I started pulling cages off the walls and rearranging. The one side now has a double layer-- we've ordered 3 pans for it like the main barn which has worked out great for us, super easy cleaning and nice and easy to pull out! Anyway, that will look great once those 3 pans are built! Then the other side is only one level now, and I figured out which cages to keep and which to sell. It gave us:
12 Fuzzy lop holes
6 Holland lop holes- I'll let the cat out of the bag-- Cristina, Andrea, Wally and myself are now "Show Stomper's Rabbitry" as a co-op rabbitry between the 4 of us, with Otter hollands- blues and blacks only and we all agreed NO brokens! We have a nice little start- Fuzzy Peach's Kikiee a black senior doe, Creator's Atkin a blue Jr buck out of Sunny's Miss Mustache who was Cobalt's mom : ) And Kikiee was out of GC Sunny's Ted so this all goes back to our old line : ) Anyway we also have 3 adorable baby otter does out of Kikiee and Magnum an otter buck- thanks Tammi for the breeding.
Anyway back to what I was saying. 12 Fuzzy holes, 6 holland holes(I think Andrea and Wally are planning 12 holes but with over 100 rabbits as it, I don't want anymore then that!! Somedays I wonder why I have this many, lol!
And then one extra hole for mini lop overflow probably, plus a 4 hole Jersey stacker...

So it should be much nicer to clean and manouver in that lower barn and now if I could just get my uncle to do some fix its down there we would be set.... Been waiting 6 months so might be waiting another... sigh!!!

Cage wise... We now have :
41 Jersey holes in the main barn
44 Mini lop holes in the main barn
4 Jersey holes down below
12 Fuzzy lop holes
and 6 Holland holes for a grand total of:
107 holes.. yikes I think I'm good for rabbits, lol!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Meganne Vaivadas, and I just happened across your blog online. I live in Seattle, WA and I have been raising Holland Lops for ten years, the last three however my sister and I have been on hiatus from showing. I am writing to share with you that we have been pedigree-ing and registering our rabbits under the rabbitry name Show Stompers since we started in 1991, and have won both HLRSC national titles and ARBA Convention placements under that name as well. We are currently not registered with the ARBA because we have both been away at University, but do intend to take up the show life again in the future.

However, after reading you blog, I feel like this poses a dilemma. Our rabbitry name has many grand champions attached to it, as well as the first show winning line of chocolate Holland Lops in the United States. I am sure you can understand why it holds a very special place in my heart. I would be willing to let it go, without saying anything, if it didn't mean so much to my sister and I.

However, I feel like you should be aware that you are not using an original name, as well as one that has a lot of recognition in some circles. If I may be so kind to ask you to reconsider your choice, and potentially come up with something new that allows you to build a line that is unmistakably uniquely yours, it would be very much appreciated.

From one breeder to another, thank you for considering this request. If you would like to get a hold of me, my email is mvaivadas@excite.com.

Kind Regards,
Meganne Vaivadas
Show Stomper's Holland Lops

kelinci said...

Attractive your post and inspiring.
Kelinci Holland Lop
Kelinci