Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My herd goals

My goals for 2008 are as follows, in the Jerseys.

O/T for one sec!The Jersey's are all that I will be raising after this! I have my 2 pet cavies "A little RNR and Mosaic" but all my Mini rex are sold except some babies which are mainly all spoken for now. I still have the hollands... if anyone is interested in a holland for a pet or breeding animals.... : ) Anyway back on track!

My breeding goals are:

To keep consistently producing the short round, typey bodies that seem to be predominant in the "Leapin" bloodline. Work on legnth, shape, and substance to ear which seems to be a fault in the line. I plan to do some major linebreeding with RH's Tonka and GC Jentle's Hero, and Leapin' Munchkin. I think those are the 3 best in the entire herd, and I want to work on their excellent qualities!

I am really looking forward to Jersey babies in 2008. Because of the feed problem I still haven't bred anyone. Well, that isn't true. I bred Jetta and Maggie, or at least tried to the other day but didn't have much luck with Maggie. Jetta and Black Prince connected once, and Maggie and Hero were a no go. I need to check does and maybe do some breeding this week! Everyone is bouncing back into condition. I'd also like to move most everyone into the main barn after the mini rex go as well so I can work on the lower barn this winter and get pans made for it etc(pans need to be replaced).

Anyway those are my major goals for 2008. I know that Laura only had 30 holes between the 2 and at one point 3 breeds so I am wanting to keep a few more does. I am keeping a whole bunch of jr does, a few jr bucks(a buck herd I tell ya!) and the one litter I do have out there(5 blacks). I really like 2 does and a buck so I will probably grow all 3 out : )

I think the one doe I will breed shortly is Leapin Ginger Rogers. Rebreed Maggie, and maybe Tikki and Mona Lisa.

I am getting a trio of Jerseys from Ingrid. We are doing a trade. I'm getting a REG black buck, a REG Pointed White doe, and a chin doe. The chin doe is going into the agouti program obviously. I have a nice start there.
The agouti program has a Chestnut Jr doe bred by the Uptagraffts all Ayers and Brian Hartzell lines! A very nice opal buck from Just Hoppin lines, the new Chin doe, a black doe who will eventually go into that line as she is out of the opal buck. I've bred her to Prince for now though as he has the depth she is needing. And I think that is it for the agouti program, just the 4 for now.

I'm glad to get the other pointed white doe! Really want to work on a pointed white program!

Hopefully my next post will have some does that are bred... : ) The mini rex and Mini lops are sure breeding well this winter... We have over 60 babies out there right now between those 2 breeds!

I might breed Mara too.. maybe I can find 5 to breed.. that would be nice! As I said I'm keeping lots of replacement does as well, as long as they have better type or traits then parents that I'm working on. There is one doe out there that I'm not sure I want to keep but am growing her out anyway.

I want a competitive herd like Laura! I do plan to have around 25 senior does, 10 senior bucks, and the rest Jr holes....

No comments: