Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Monroe Entries

I entered 4 Jersey woolies for Monroe;

Blue Senior buck "Hero"
Blue tort Senior doe "Hot Flashez"
Smoke pearl senior doe "Mara"
Sable point(I think actually blue pt so could be dq'ed but we shall see) jr doe

We had a scare with one of the woolies day before yesterday. Snookums a blue tort senior buck hadn't eaten his pellets or drank any water, or any hay when we went to feed that afternoon/early evening(normal time). Because our rabbits are all on measured diets we know exactly how much they have ate or drank(jerseys 1/2 to 3/4 cup depending on their condition right now etc etc). I brought him out and right away knew something wasn't right. Only having them a week and a half; I'm beginnning to know how much each rabbits eats/drinks a night. He hadn't even touched his treats!

So I brought him out and checked him over. He had 3 huge masses in his stomach(maybe he moulted in the past month and just didn't get enough papaya or something). I've been feeding hay every night and gave papaya 2 times last week but those definetly weren't from having him only a week. I figure he moulted and got fur block but it just wasn't found and he never went off feed until it got quite bad. So.. I immediately syringed pineapple juice and baby gas drops into him(not knowing at first what it was). Massaged his belly and more pineapple juice. 4 hours later I went back to the barn and syringed more pineapple juice into him, more baby gas drops and gave him a dish of pineapple juice(no clue how much is too much but I could feel 3 golf ball size lumps that were soft and moving. I am proud and relieved to say that he is doing fine now ! I do not feel the lumps at all and he is pooping normally! He also ate his oats and a few pellets and drank a little water. I am giving him pedialite to keep his electrolytes etc up. He got more hay, more pineapple juice syringed in him and another massage of the belly last night. I was going to take him to the vet if things weren't looking better but thankfully I didn't have too!(just spent $2800 on getting all the woolies after it was all said and done) and fuzzies too(by the time we paid for ferry X 2 plus trailer one way, 3 people, food for 2 days, motel for a night, gas X 3 tanks, a couple of trips to Canadian tire. Paying for the trailer(over $120 to rent for 3 days with insurance), paying for the adaptor piece for the lights, bank fees for using cash machines that weren't from CIBC. Gross ferry food! Etc, etc...

The 5 black babies are doing great. I will be breeding a whole bunch of woolies next week! I've bred the REW doe but need to check her next week to see if she caught. Will be nice to have lots of wooly litters happening! : )

No comments: